Monday 5 June 2017

The Wildernes of Langanes


2 June 2017
This is the place above all I wanted to visit. It's a 50km uninhabited peninsula in the north east of Iceland. A few people lived here once:
With some  trepidation I passed the sign indicating that this track was for 4x4 vehicles only. The birding trail guide says it is passable with care, and it is, but mostly in second gear and at 10 to 15 mph. It's raining steadily with a cold wind and low cloud. After one or two hours - lost track of time -  I finally got to the bird cliffs which are two thirds of the way up the north coast of the peninsula. There's a hut, locked, and a space to park and a new galvanized metal platform jutting out above the sheer drop to the sea, and there they are, beneath your feet:  hundreds of gannets, guillemots, razorbills, fulmars and kittiwakes all swirling round in the mist and rain. Pointless to attempt any photography, but it's late afternoon so I decide to stay the night there and hope for better luck in the morning.


Its 8:30 am. I've been up since 5 in the hope of getting some good pictures at the bird cliffs, but although the wind has dropped and it's not raining, it's very misty, so I decided to go back and spend more time searching out all the waders back towards Thorshofn. I saw and photographed Rock Ptarmigan which was a bonus.
 There are waders everywhere in this part of Iceland, and it's specially pleasing to see a Knot with his read head and chest. Knots look dull when they come to Britain in the winter. The others I'm fairly sure are Sanderling, but again looking very colourful.



and then I came across the ruins of a small settlement. There was a well-defined grass track with easy access from the main track so I decided to pull off the track and do some exploring, confident that my winter tyres would get me back onto the stone track.  A little family of Iceland sheep obviously thought this was a stupid idea.
They were right.

The exploring didn't last long - there's not much of interest here - the remains of 4 or 5 stone and turf houses and a few acres of grass with some Iceland sheep. I try to get some momentum by dropping back down the track, but the wheels just spin. I'm stuck about 150 metres from the track and will just have to wait for help to arrive. I wanted the van to be inconspicuous in natural surroundings. Hm. It's a bit too inconspicuous now. To make sure I will be seen I've put the warning triangle up by the stone track. Now all I can do is wait. It's a bad spot for birds, and the most I  can expect in the way of traffic is about 1 vehicle an hour -  could well be a lot less. I only saw one car yesterday which went on past me. It could be a long wait. I do have the Iceland 112 app which tracks my position with GPS. There is an emergency button on it, but this is hardly an emergency

11:25. I have just decided to text the emergency line when a 4x4 appears. I wave and shout. It stops and turns down towards me. The man looks local but speaks just enough English for us to communicate. He has a kind face. I trust him. He decides to try driving the van first, but his first attempt fails so he then goes to the bottom of the track, turns it round and reverses. This works a lot better but he still gets stuck just where he left his truck.
"Do you have rope?" I was afraid he would ask this. How I could have forgotten to pack a tow rope I do not know. Unperturbed he fishes out a nylon strap from the detritus in the back of his truck.
"Do you live here?"
"Here, no. In Thorshoven. I come shoot foxes."
"Me too but with - " I mime taking pictures. We both laugh.
He looks at the front of the van and points to something on the bumper.
"You have screw?" There is a threaded hole by the bumper. Ah! In the tool kit there is something. I rummage under the seat and find it - a sturdy metal loop with a threaded end which screws into the hole. I wondered what that was for.
Ten minutes later I am back on the stone track shaking hands and beaming.
"Can I give you some money?"
"No no. Here, you take" - He gives me the strap.
"Will you write your name and address for me and I will write to you when I get home."
He's happy with that. He is:
Sigurdur Oskarsson
Asgardur 680
Thorshofn
Isn't the kindness of strangers wonderful?




No comments:

Post a Comment