Friday 23 June 2017

Back to the Faroes - for 3 days


It began bad and steadily got worse.
The ship was supposed to dock at Torshavn in the Faroes at 3:00, and we were asked to leave our "cabins" at 2. I set an alarm, and woke at the time it sounded, so not sure which came first. I quickly packed everything up and headed to the green stairs where the door to the car deck was - nobody there. I couldn't open the door so waited a while and then sent back up a deck or two where I met a crewman who said it had been delayed and wouldn't dock until 4:00 Evidently there had been an announcement on the tannoy none of which I could understand.
I was tired and irritable and the wait seemed interminable. To really shove it in our faces, those of us waiting at 4:00 on the green staircase were eventually told to move to a red staircase because the doors wouldn't open.
Finally I drove out to pouring rain - Welsh type rain which just goes on and on: everything dark and gloomy. I stopped and made breakfast with what I had left. That improved things for a while, but I had no internet, no google maps to guide me and found myself driving over one stretch of road three times.
I needed electricity to charge the leisure batteries - with what amounted to negative sunshine I wasn't going to get any power from the solar charger. I also needed food and wifi to buy more data for the phone. I tried the first town I came to  - actually more of a village called Kollafjordur but no campsite and no shop - so went on to the main town on the main island: Vestmanna, and here I am in a dreary looking campsite but with full facilities and a nice Swiss girl called Dagmar who I can barely hear but who is very patient with me.
She is travelling by bus and tent camping for 6 weeks.
I think we are both waiting for the rain to stop, which looks at least possible now. Perhaps it's not real Welsh rain but more like the Icelandic variety which tends to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment