Tuesday 13 June 2017

A fantastic end to a great day


So, the ventlator finally blew off and I had to climb up on the roof and tape a piece of plastic bag over the gaping hole.

So, I  fell the last metre or so when scrambling off the roof - the ground was soft.

So even though the neighbouring Swiss family with the demountable don't want to chat . . .

None of this could dent my elation. Why?

Because it's warm and sunny - yes, and…

I had a great afternoon going round the "Settlement Era Museum";  that too, and

Because I'm in a magical place, the Thingfellir, the site of the world's first parliament, the Allthing, and the world's first festival; yes, all that but -

The big one was this:



This is what this wildlife photography thing is all about. I had a glorious cycle ride round the Thingfellir site. It was 9 pm and the sun, though strong, was low enough to give highlights and shadows. As I rode back to the campsite I saw an arctic fox about to cross the road in front of me. Seeing this strange object coming towards him he scooted back into the scrub, but I guessed he might wait for the coast to be clear and have another go. I parked the bike in the ditch and climbed a few steps up to where I could clearly see the bit of road he had used. I only had to wait a few minutes and I saw a shadow approaching. Focus on the spot, full zoom - 400mm, shutter speed 1/ 320, f 5.6, ISO 160. click click. He could clearly see me but I wasn't moving and was partially hidden so he began to move over the road.Click click click.
Again he stopped and stared at me before slinking away. 

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous!
    I should introduce to my friend Andrew Roberts who is recently back from photographing polar bears! He is an avid photographer who has only recently turned a hobby into a business and is now a professional photographer. He lives here in Tredegar but operates out of Crickhowell - also he's a lovely bloke and like yourself, very modest of his abilities...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ade - I've love to meet him: next time we come to
      Tredegar.

      Delete
  2. Love the fox pictures. Glad it has warmed up a bit too!!

    ReplyDelete