Friday 30 June 2017

Home again


It felt good arriving in Denmark in warm sun. Now all I had to do was drive 1000 miles and I would be home.

I won't bore you with all the details. It was an ordeal. The motorways round Hamburg are being doubled in width and all the traffic is restricted to narrow lanes for mile after mile. Despite this we all drove at normal speed - completely hair-raising. I stayed the night at a campsite just south of the city, hoping to do the last 750 kilometers to Calais in one day.


I didn't make it. Desperate to stop driving I drove round in circles in a seaside resort to the north of Ostend until by chance I found a campsite. At 5:30 next morning I was away and reached Calais in time to find out that the reservation I had made for the Shuttle was for Folkstone to Calais. They wouldn't change it so I had to go on the ferry - wished I'd booked the ferry in the first place. They are amazingly quick and efficient - many years of practise I suppose.


I still had to get from Dover to Cilycwm, and get used to driving on the left again. I drove from warm sun in Kent to the familiar cool cloud in Wales, and I was glad. Cool Cilycwm was wonderful. I was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment