Thursday 1 June 2017

A bigger catastrophe

The day started wet with low cloud. That's OK, I had lots of sun yesterday and I have some driving to do. There's a nice short cut across the wide flat delta of the Lagarfljot river, but STUPID MAN I didn't think to get fuel yesterday, so now I have to drive back to Egilsstadur. In future it's full tanks of fuel, and water before I set off anywhere more remote. At least there's plenty of propane in the gas tank. I filled it up in north Denmark and it only took 8 litres so I hadn't used much on route.

After refuelling - prices not too bad for Iceland - I go to the supermarket for more bits and pieces, but first I stop for a coffee. I fill the kettle, turn on the gas and nothing happens. There's a very low flame which flickers out. I HAVE NO GAS. That's no heating, no hot water and no cooking. What am I going to do?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blockage rather than no gas, especially if you filled up. You would smell a leak even I an external pipe surely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dick - hope you have sorted you problem with the gas out. My sister sent me some Faeroe recommendations. Here they are:
    * Vestmannabjorgini Bird Cliffs – these were the main reason that I wanted to go. The cliffs are amazing, best seen from a boat which we got from Vestmanna on Streymoy Island.
    * If interested in ancient history there is a Middle Age settlement at Kirkjubour
    * Europe’s highest headland is Enniberg in the north – worth a look & good walks
    * Mykines Island is home to hundreds of thousands of migratory seabirds, in season you can get v close to puffins & there are huge gannet colonies.
    * Mykinesholmur, a small islet connected to the main island by a footbridge over a 35 metre deep gorge.

    Lots of lovely villages , eg Gjogv from which we walked to see the Bugvin sea stack 188 metre high, some with traditional grass roofs and great coastal walks.
    Keep on Keeping on

    Isabel

    ReplyDelete