Thursday 18 May 2017

Poppies

This is for Heie, who said she was "looking forward to more pictures and poetry". Long drives are very tedious without music or radio, and I got to thinking - well what about it? I haven't written poetry for perhaps 50 years but the same would apply to serious photography. Perhaps it would be a good way to keep my brain active while driving. Or did the poppies come first? I'm, not sure, but here is the result of some hours of driving and thinking:

Flanders - the Flanders Fields
Wide, flat and acid green
Factories for human food
And not a flower to be seen.
Poppies are not wanted here.
They're surplus to requirements,
A red too vibrant for these over-fertile plains,
Symbols of a million deaths.
Yet as I drive along the triple lanes
Of concrete tar and metal
I see a flash of colour:
There in the long and dusty meadow
Between the barriers that keep the cars apart
That's where the poppies are,
With the other refugees from chemical death,
The oilseed rape and the big white daisies.
There, nourished by the fumes they prosper,
Mile upon mile, they call out to me
"We're still here"

2 comments:

  1. Love that! Keep them coming! X x hope you're getting on ok? X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant poem- i can see the Flanders' fields in my mind eye. Have a wonderful time. I am so envious....keep on posting so we can all participate a bit. :-) have a safe and wonderful trip, Heie xx

    ReplyDelete