Thursday 25 May 2017

Copenhagen 2

Tomorrow I will take Thelma to the station for the train to the airport where she will embark for Bristol and then home. I then  head due west. First to Odense to fill my LPG tank for cooking and heating. There are only 5 LPG stations in Denmark, and none in Iceland. Then I head north and camp somewhere within easy distance of Hirtsals the port at the northern tip of Denmark where I get the boat to the Faroes and Iceland.
It's going to be a big change from warm sunny Copenhagen to cool strange Torshavn, and I can't say I'm not nervous about it. Here we've enjoyed 21st century urban culture at its best. When I  dock at Torshavn after 2 days at sea, I will meet an isolated culture, a tiny self-governing nation with its own language and a long tradition of survival in a harsh climate.
I'm really looking forward to it, but I will also look back with pleasure at the gentle beauty of Denmark's great city:






2 comments:

  1. Copenhagen looks great - I'm used to seeing it in the dark and gloom in programmes such as The Killing and The Bridge! Glad you got there OK and hope the van is fixed OK.My sister had a great holiday on the Faroes a few years ago - you'll love it. Take care, Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Isabel. Van seems to be OK now. Just packing for the next stage. Could you ask your sister about her favourite bits of Faroe? I have two days there on the way back - end of June. Love to Cilycwm.

    ReplyDelete