Tuesday 30 May 2017

Fellow passengers

It was still warm when we left Hirtsals in North Denmark, and some of the passengers were getting very relaxed:
As we sailed up the coast of Norway the sunset (and a lighthouse) made for some interesting pictures:







27 May (I think)
Now I know why there are so many age and girth-challenged German couples here. There are 2 big tour coaches on a tour of the North Atlantic. They are all watching a film and filling the café. It's hard not to feel a bit anti. So far I've only spoken to a Swedish couple who are keen bird watchers. There is one Frenchman but I've not identified any Brits.

In the bunk opposite is a large dark haired man with a trimmed beard - probably in his thirties. He was there sleeping when I arrived in the afternoon. Every time I went into the tiny cabin with its 9 bunks, all male, he was asleep. When I settled in for the night he was still there, still sleeping. It was not until today, mid morning, when I finally found his bunk empty, and this evening he was sitting there awake.
Do you speak English, Deutsch?
English - this said with a smile.
Where are you from?
Poland.
He lives in Iceland - Akureyri - and had just driven back from a month's holiday in Poland. It sounded like he did the whole 22 hour trip in one go.
I've also met the Frenchman - from Grenoble. We spoke in a mixture of French and English but I did not learn much about him.

30 May (Filling in gaps)
I also had long conversations with two ladies from Switzerland, one of whom was a keen bird watcher. They seemed to be in their early 60s and were travelling in a basic van with just beds.
The only person whose name I got was Ralph from Belgium. He was the one with the telescope rooted to one corner of the deck - a proper twitcher, but a very pleasant companion none the less.

Judging from the surprised looks a left hand drive vehicle gets, I think I may have been the only Brit on the ship. I'm very OK with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment