Sunday 5 March 2017

Analysis of a scam


End of Week 2

The work on the van has proceeded steadily, but was interrupted by a drawn-out email conversation with a man called Jans Millerson.

Jans saw my advertisement for the demountable camper on AutoTrader and sent this: 

Sent: 26 February 2017 00:32

 To: twynog@gmail.com

 Subject: A lead from Motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk (KD530AH MAZDA 2500  £11,200)

 From: janns61s@gmail.com

Name: Mr Jans Millerson

Telephone 07748006895



Hello,viewed your listing and hope it is still up for sale?



To which I replied:

On 2/25/17, twynog@gmail.com <twynog@gmail.com> wrote:

 Yes it is – would you like to see it?

He replied:

From: Jans 08s

 Sent: 26 February 2017 07:45

 To: twynog@gmail.com

 Subject: Re: A lead from Motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk (KD530AH MAZDA 2500 £11,200)

 Thank you for the Response,I am okay with the condition Likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately , I'll have it for your firm price and kindly consider it sold as seen am buying it as a surprise gift for my Son who is schooling Abroad .Are you assuring me i will not be disappointed? I work with the military air-force and presently in camp serving the nation which is strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online cause am out of town on job duties, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe an secure to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.co.uk I hope we can complete this transaction as soon as possible. Less I forgot, I have a Mover that will come for pickup once payment is cleared in your PayPal account and they will be handling the title for me, as I look forward to hearing from you with your PayPal information as requested below.

 Your PayPal e-Mail Address :

 Full name:

 Firm Price:

 Address for Pick Up:

 Phone Number:

 Awaiting your response asap

To which I replied:

On 2/26/17, twynog@gmail.com <twynog@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hello Jans

 I'm sure you will appreciate that this is an unusual offer. Although I am keen to proceed as quickly as we can, I need to be sure that the offer is genuine. Could you send me more details about you? Do you have an online profile - eg facebook, twitter etc?

 If the deal goes through, the person who comes to collect the vehicle will need to fill in your full name and address (or that of your son) as the new keeper, so it would be helpful if I had that information in advance. Assuming all is in order I would send a PayPal request for payment to your email address. When the funds arrive in PayPal I will transfer them to my bank account. Once the payment is cleared in my account then I will get you to arrange the transport. This can all happen quite quickly.

 I hope this sounds fair.

 Richard

He then wrote back:

From: Jans 08s

 Sent: 26 February 2017 09:20

 To: twynog@gmail.com

 Subject: Re: A lead from Motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk (KD530AH MAZDA 2500 £11,200)

Got a facebook account under the name Janssen Millerson. I am okay with everything you said and if we are good to go, kindly send a payment request to my email on here for payment.



At this stage I thought I should get some advice so wrote an email to AutoTrader. The reply came quickly:

DearCustomer,

Thank you for reporting this to us. Auto Trader are committed to protecting our customer’s privacy and I would strongly suggest that you block the email address to stop any further communication with this person. Also you can report the email address to Gmail there is a short form to report the user here: https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse?rd=1   Please take note that sellers who refuse to speak over the phone and refuse to meet in person to view or show the vehicle are extremely likely to be scammers as well as those who request you to email them on a private email address. Also, anyone claiming to be abroad and with no phone access or wanting to pay with any 3rd party, EBay, PayPal or Google Wallet should be treated with a huge amount of suspicion.



Auto Trader takes this matter very seriously and we constantly review the content of our safety and security pages on our website. We have a dedicated customer security team who police the website day and night, 7 days a week and any adverts that raise concerns are removed. We also report fraudulent activity to the police. You can contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 and provide them with these details. Action Fraud is run by the police and they work alongside the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau.



Unfortunately scammers are professional criminals who will go to great lengths to attempt to abuse the good nature of people buying or selling cars using our website. For this reason Auto trader regularly updates the advice on our website to inform customers how to avoid these scams.



We advise our customers about safety and security on our website, please view the following links for information:





We have the ‘Report This Ad’ button on each advert page which customers can use to report any fraudulent adverts.



If you have any more questions or queries, please get in touch.



Kind Regards,



James Hibbert

Customer Security Executive

Auto Trader 

That seemed clear enough but I was still puzzled. I could not see how I could risk being defrauded if I did not part with the goods until the money was in my back account?  Pay Pal may be a rip-off, but I’ve never felt unsafe using their services. I replied

Hello James 

Thank you for your reply. It’s good to know you are working for your customers on Sunday.  

For obvious reasons I don’t want give up on this man just yet. I asked him for more information and he replied to the effect that he has a facebook profile and is willing to wait until the money is in my bank account before the sale is completed. On Facebook he is Janssen Millerson, a US Marine. I have asked him to provide a permanent address and the address of where he is stationed, and where his son is located. Is there anything else I could do to find out if he is genuine?  

Richard Turner

 I had this reply from James. Interesting that AutoTrader has a department called “scam enquiries”! 

From: Scam Enquiries
Sent: 26 February 2017 10:38 To:
twynog@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Offer to pay via PayPal
 

Dear Richard,  

Thank you for your email. I would advise not going through with this sale and waiting to hear from another enquirer. I would suggest that the likelihood of this enquirer being fraudulent dwarfs that of them being a legitimate buyer. Attempting to coerce somebody into accepting payment via PayPal is a standard scam technique and so is suggesting you’re working abroad or have recently gone through an operation. Please have a browse of security advice at the link http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/safety_and_security_centre 

Kind Regards,

James Hibbert

Customer Security Executive

Auto Trader 

My response was: 

Hello again James, 

Thanks for this. I had assumed that when I asked the ‘buyer’ for his home address and didn’t hear back that he was a potential scammer. However, he has returned with a home address. What I have suggested as a way he could pay me is that I send a PayPal request for funds to his email address. I would then not release the vehicle until I had transferred those funds to my bank account. There are at present no funds in my paypal account which could be hijacked. Could you explain how my accepting payment via PayPal could be to my disadvantage? There isn’t any relevant advice on the link you sent.  

I would be very grateful for your help with this. The vehicle (a demountable camper on a specially adapted truck) is difficult to sell, and I would not like to lose this opportunity if it is genuine. 

Yours  RT

The response was negative:

Dear Richard,  

Thank you for your email. I would advise not going through with this sale and waiting to hear from another enquirer. I would suggest that the likelihood of this enquirer being fraudulent dwarfs that of them being a legitimate buyer. Attempting to coerce somebody into accepting payment via PayPal is a standard scam technique and so is suggesting you’re working abroad or have recently gone through an operation. Please have a browse of security advice at the link http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/safety_and_security_centre 

Kind Regards,

 James Hibbert

Customer Security Executive

Auto Trader 

Still, I wanted to get to the bottom of this so I wrote again to Jans:

Hello again Jans.

 I have been advised by Autotrader to block your email address! I don’t intend to do that, but I need more information.

 In the picture on Facebook you look too young to have an adult son. Can you send me details of your permanent address,  where you are stationed, and where your son is at school. (I understand that in America you use ‘school’ can also mean university.) Do you have a mobile phone (cellphone) which I  can contact you on?

 Cheers

 RT

This was his response:

From: Jans 08s

 Sent: 26 February 2017 10:54

 To: twynog@gmail.com

 Subject: Re: A lead from Motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk (KD530AH MAZDA 2500  £11,200)

 Will do that once am back from church

Church eh? That doesn’t square with being a con-artist – or does it? What had I to lose but getting more information?

On 2/26/17, twynog@gmail.com <twynog@gmail.com> wrote:

 Are you still keen?  I need to be assured that you are genuine.

He replied:

Yes i am. Here is my home address  Name is Janssen Harper Millerson

 Address is 9 Clifford Close Sawley

 Long Eaton Nottingham NG103BT

Naturally I checked the address on Google and can see that the house is a very ordinary suburban 20th C bit of ugliness. Not everyone who lives in an ugly house has an ugly temperament. I don’t give up easily:

On 2/27/17, twynog@gmail.com <twynog@gmail.com> wrote:

 Thanks. This is beginning to look like a deal. Before I send the Paypal request for funds, could you explain where you are stationed and why you cannot make telephone calls. I would also be glad of some information on your son. I’m sorry to be difficult but I am following advice from Auto Trader.

 RT

The reply:

I'm stationed in San Diego presently and i am in camp. Calls are

 highly restricted in camp. My son name is Josh and same home address.

 What else do you need again?

Still not enough:

What would your son use the vehicle for? Tell me more about him. Where is he studying, how old is he?

RT

Then I had a brainwave:

Second reply.

I’ve just realised there is a much easier way of doing this – simply buy through ebay. That way we will both be protected. Here’s the link:


RT

And that was the last I heard from him. I’m still mystified, but have no doubt it was some kind of scam.


























No comments:

Post a Comment