Monday 20 February 2017

Back to the shell

Day two.

The back of the van is all stripped out and nearly clean.



It feels good now because I can visualise how all the problems of insulation and lining can be solved. It's no longer a huge strange hill to be climbed but a path marked out by the many self-builders who have already been there. I joined the "Self Build Motor Caravan Club: http://sbmcc.co.uk/ and they have been most helpful.
Originally I was going to leave the old plywood floor as a sub-floor and build an insulated floor on top of it. However, I spotted some wet patches so decided to take it up and make sure the metal floor was sound and clean. There was all kinds of mess under it acting as a sponge for any moisture. It turns out there was quite a big leak pooling behind the driver's seat. I got Thelma to play the hose over the van with me inside and I soon found where it was getting in - an easy problem to solve.
Now it's off to the wonderful Ratcliffe's Hardware in Llandovery to get some insulation materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment